The standard application for conducting webinars (online lectures) at Reutlingen University is DFNconf Adobe Connect. Since DFN has announced that this platform will not be able to cope with the huge increase in online lectures caused by the corona crisis, Reutlingen University is offering an alternative platform. A contract has been signed with Zoom for one year, meaning that the platform is available until March 2021. Zoom is intended exclusively for teaching purposes.
Zoom enables the organisation of online events with up to 300 participants. With Zoom, the following functions are available:
- Video and audio conferences
- Chat function
- Screen or window sharing
- Break-out sessions
- Recording of web conferences
Within Zoom, a distinction is made between moderators and participants. The moderator can appoint co-moderator. Moderators can create meetings and invite participants to join these meetings.
To become a moderator, please send an e-mail to the Service Desk with the subject line "Registrierung Zoom". (This is currently only possible for professors and lecturers). Any participants can be invited to webinars.
When using Zoom, please make sure that you have the appropriate technical equipment. A USB headset is helpful for better audio transmission.
If this is not available, the microphone on your laptop can also be used. The built-in camera on your laptop is sufficient for video transmission.
- Step by step guides
- Live training webinars from Zoom
- Setting a virtual background for Zoom meetings
Standard templates for virtual backgrounds
- Zoom Tutorial 1 How to create and start a Zoom meeting + meeting settings
- Zoom Tutorial 2 How to get started with a Zoom meeting
- Zoom Tutorial 3 Using the zoom whiteboard
- Zoom Tutorial 4 Zoom breakout rooms
- Zoom Tutorial 5 Polls in zoom
- Zoom Tutorial 6 Recording a zoom meeting
- Zoom Tutorial 7 My dual screen setup
Please report any problems to the Service Desk.
The processing times correspond to the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
Data Backup / Hosting
Recorded webinars are momentarily stored in the Zoom Cloud and are automatically deleted after 60 days. If recordings need to be retained for a longer period, they must be downloaded and uploaded to Panopto.
This service must be requested with an e-mail to the Service Desk with the subject line "Registrierung Zoom". This is only available to professors and lecturers.
Zoom is intended exclusively for teaching use. No conferences may be held using this service for the following purposes:
- Appointment procedures
- Events regarding research projects
DFNconf PEXIP can be used for these subjects. Due to the limited availability, it is strongly recommended to use less frequented times (<9:00, >17:00)
- When using Zoom, a password is required for every event
- File transfers between participants is blocked
- Invitations to participants can only be sent from the moderator's e-mail address
For data protection:
- attention tracking is switched off
- detailed information about participants (such as IP addresses) is not recorded
- participants can change their name and participate with a pseudonym
- the automatic recording of meetings is deactivated. When the moderator starts a recording, participants receive a message where they have the option to agree to the recording or to leave the meeting
- camera control by the moderator is deactivated
- login using your Facebook or Google account is not possible
- local recording of the event is deactivated for participants